Ensemble Information for Non-Music Majors
Do you play an instrument or sing? Are you a current or incoming Western student?
If you answered "Yes" to both questions, consider auditioning for one of our outstanding music ensembles! (If you're a current or confirmed incoming student in the Don Wright Faculty of Music, please click here for complete Ensemble info for Music students. The information below is specific to non-Music Western students.)
Being a member of an ensemble can be an integral part of your experience at Western. Our award-winning choral and instrumental groups perform a range of repertoire from early music to jazz.
- Auditions will be held immediately following Labour Day, with several taking place before the first day of classes. Exact dates by instrument or for choral auditions are available on the main Large Ensemble webpage and are typically posted by late spring.
- The audition sign up sheets (instrumental) will be posted on the Performance Department Bulletin Board on the second floor across from the Music Library in Talbot College by September 1. Audition sign up sheets (choirs) will be posted on the door of MB 545 in the Music Building. It is recommended that you sign up for your audition timeslot (by instrument/choir) sooner rather than later. Certain timeslots fill up quickly.
- Visit the Large Ensemble webpage for complete rehearsal and audition information. Each instrument has separate requirements.
- The recommended audition excerpts for winds, brass, percussion, and strings are available at the bottom of this page. Non-music majors interested in auditioning for winds or brass, may substitute an etude of their own choice for one or two of the recommended excerpts. We hope to see lots of new faces at the large ensemble auditions, especially low brass players.
- If possible, it is recommended that students keep the Monday-Thursday 3:30-5:20 time slot open in order to be considered for the largest number of ensembles.
- A wide variety of additional Music courses available for non-Music majors are listed here.
The following Ensembles are available for audition for non-Music majors:
Large Ensemble Audition Excerpts for Instrumentalists:
All 2019 wind, brass and percussion students auditioning for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Jazz Ensemble shall prepare all excerpts listed on our secure website below. All string audition repertoire for non-Music majors can be downloaded from the secure page on our website.
(use the following username and password for access)
Wind, Brass and Percussion students only:
Download and complete this form and submit in person at your audition.
Thank you for your interest! For more information on joining an Ensemble at the Don Wright Faculty of Music, please contact Catherine Fraser at 519-661-2111 ext. 85402, or Cindi Ryde at 519-661-2111 ext. 85332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you in September.