Bachelor of Arts
If you apply to the Bachelor of Arts (Honours Specialization in Music, Major in Music, Minor in Music) an audition is not required, since performance ability is not an essential criteria for admission.
Completion of six approved Grade 12U/M credits, including English (ENG4U), and one of the following: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U), or Math of Data Management (MDM4U).
The Bachelor of Arts, does not include studio lessons in the degree requirements, but applicants are expected to have strong musical background in either pop or classical music and classical experience equivalent at least to Grade 8 conservatory level. After applying through the Ontario Universities Application Centre (www.ouac.on.ca) Applicants are required to:
- Complete the questionnaire
- Provide two letter of recommendation forms
- Complete the Music Theory Assessment prior to an interview.
- The Theory Placement Test contains written questions at the Royal Conservatory of Music intermediate harmony level (intervals, clefs, rhythmic notation, transposition of melodies, chord progressions, harmonic analysis, and simple forms), as well as questions which test basic aural ability, that is, recognition of intervals, chords, and simple melodic and chord progressions.
- Interview. All applicants will be scheduled for an in person interview to take place at the Don Wright Faculty of Music.
Visit the Western Academic Calendar for Program Requirements and Information.
Applicants from distant regions
Applicants who live at a distance may request permission for a telephone interview and to submit their accompanying recorded performance as a streaming link to YouTube or Vimeo, or to attach the MP4 file in an email to Odilla Van Delinder, email: email@example.com phone: 519-661-2111 x82044.
For students who want to enroll in a program that includes private lessons and ensemble participation, please see the Bachelor of Music program.
Associate Dean (Undergraduate Admissions & Programs)
Dr. John Cuciurean
Undergraduate Admissions Assistant
Odilla Van Delinder
Ms. Diane Mills