PhD in Music Education
"I was attracted to Western for three reasons: the large music education department, the financial support and care for graduate students, and the adventure of studying abroad." Alison Butler, PhD Candidate, Music Education
- Theories of Music Education (Music 9640)
- Research in Music Education (Music 9639a/b)
- 2 elective courses in music education
- Course in advanced research methods
- Qualifying Examination
- Dissertation Proposal Defense
- Dissertation and Oral Defense
Each PhD student will have a PhD Advisory Committee, which will be responsible for approving the student's course selection and comprehensive examination.
The dissertation proposal and dissertation itself will be written under the supervision of a dissertation supervisor and second reader.
For further details about PhD program requirements, please consult the Graduate Student Handbook.
- Students are encouraged to develop their topics for each of the 2 Qualifying Examination papers (Literature/Theoretical Framework and Methodology) throughout Terms 4 and 5. Consultation with faculty is highly encouraged.
- By May 1 (start of Term 6), each student should have a confirmed dissertation supervisory committee (normally a dissertation supervisor and a second reader). The dissertation supervisory committee will determine a deadline for submission of the Qualifying Examination papers. The dissertation proposal should follow from the Qualifying Examination.
- The Dissertation Proposal Defense should be completed as early as possible in Term 7, following successful completion of the Qualifying Examination.