PhD in Music Education
"I was attracted to Western for three reasons: the large music education department, the financial support and care for graduate students, and the adventure of studying abroad." Alison Butler, PhD Candidate, Music Education
- Theories of Music Education (Music 9640)
- Research in Music Education (Music 9639a/b)
- 2 elective courses in music education
- Course in advanced research methods
- Qualifying Examination
- Dissertation Proposal Defense
- Dissertation and Oral Defense
Each PhD student will have a PhD Advisory Committee, which will be responsible for approving the student's course selection and comprehensive examination.
The dissertation proposal and dissertation itself will be written under the supervision of a dissertation supervisor and second reader.
For further details about PhD program requirements, please consult the Graduate Student Handbook.