New Horizons Adult Band
Summer program: Summer 2018 Registration Form (includes all dates/fees) - first session May 5, 2018:
- Register online and pay by credit card
- Download (PDF) form to complete and submit
by mail or in person
NHB Small Ensembles
Lost at C - Monday Evenings - first session May 7, 2018
- Register online and pay by credit card - Monday Evening
- Download (PDF) form to complete and submit by mail or in person - Monday Evening
Once a Quartet - Thursday Evenings - first session May 3, 2018
- Register online and pay by credit card - Thursday Evening
- Download (PDF) form to complete and submit by mail or in person - Thursday Evening
Join the New Horizons Adult Band if you want to:
- learn how to play a band instrument (not offered during summer session)
- brush up your playing skills from the past
- meet new people
- have a whole lot of fun
The program provides instruction (not offered during summer session) to adults wishing to learn (or re-learn) to play wind or percussion instruments:
- french horn
Western’s program was the first New Horizons Band in Canada, and remains one of the largest programs of its kind in North America.
Research shows that playing a musical instrument can be good for your health:
- develops fine motor control skills
- improves breath control
- renews a sense of purpose
- helps make new friends
- expands your musical interests
Want more information?
Please leave a message at 519-661-2111, ext. 82974 and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. Or visit us in the Music Building on a Saturday morning.
What do we do?
Courses run during the academic year (September through early April) with a summer session offered in May and June.
There are small and large class instruction with four levels of instruction designed to provide the most appropriate level of instruction.
- No previous experience or note-reading ability required.
- You can rent or purchase instruments.
- Some prior musical experience or taken our beginning class.
- One hour of band and one hour of sectional (focusing on your instrument with others at your playing level).
- Participated in the program for more than two terms
- or previous musical background on the instrument
- Two advanced band classes. One of 90 minutes of band with an hour sectional; the other with two and a half hours of band but no sectionals.
- Each advanced band has opportunities to perform throughout the term.
- In past summers, the combined advanced bands have toured Europe together having 10 fun music-filled days in Budapest, Prague and Vienna.
Coordinator, New Horizons Adult Band
Phone: 519-661-2111 x82974